The Bethel, Tenn. Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. today at the Lodge building. Public invited. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. today at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Used book sale
Friends of the Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale on Tuesday, January 8, 2013, from 10 am until 4 p.m. at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Senior Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program applications are now available for citizens age 60 and older who meet certain income guidelines: Family of one, $1,534 monthly; family of two, $2,064 monthly; family of three, $2,594. Visit your closest senior center during normal business hours or go to the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street to complete an application. These are submitted online by Council on Aging staff, but the website states: “The budget does not allow enough checks to satisfy everyone who wants them and is eligible.”
• Healing Hearts. The Healing Hearts Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 7, in the Education Department at Athens-Limestone Hospital. Find more information at Healing Hearts of Limestone County on Facebook or through the Education Department at Athens-Limestone Hospital.
• Cancer support group. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 in Athens. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• Vietnam Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8, for the annual holiday dinner. Meat provided by chapter 511. Voluntary covered dishes and desserts are requested. No business meeting is scheduled.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Past president of the Hosta Society of Northern Alabama Susan Webb will present the program, “Introducing Hostas.”
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 11, at Athens Recreation Center. Guests will be Frank Travis and local state legislators. Contact: Jerry George 246-729-1145.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.