Senior Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program applications are now available for citizens age 60 and older who meet certain income guidelines: Family of one, $1,534 monthly; family of two, $2,064 monthly; family of three, $2,594. Visit your closest senior center during normal business hours or go to the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street to complete an application. These are submitted online by Council on Aging staff, but the website states: “The budget does not allow enough checks to satisfy everyone who wants them and is eligible.”
AMVETS memorial ceremony
Organizers say the Mims-Russell American Veterans Post 21 memorial ceremony scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at Roselawn Cemetery in Athens is canceled due to weather.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. today at Athens Recreation Center. Guests will be Frank Travis and local state legislators. Contact: Jerry George 246-729-1145.
• Athens Council. Athens City Council will hold a work session to discuss water and wastewater projects at 2 p.m. today in the mayor’s conference room of City Hall, which is temporarily located in the Athens Utilities building at 1806 Wilkinson St. in Athens.
• NSDAR. The John Wade Keyes chapter of The National Society Daughters of the.
American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center in Athens. Contacts: Judy Rew or Doris Estes 256-232-8733. Public invited.
• Breast Cancer Support. The Athens Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Kristi Anderson, a personal trainer, is the guest speaker. New members welcome. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052 or email@example.com.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, programs and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Kevin 256-278-8276.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Local historian Bob Jacques will share letters and other mementos at 7 p.m. during his discussion of “Artifacts of the Civil War.”
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse. Guest speaker will be Sen. Arthur Orr.
• AMVETS. AMVETS will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at 22769 Bill Black Road. A covered dish dinner will be served.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet for a Dutch lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse. Pam Smith of Hospice will talk on “Life Reflections.” Public invited.
• Hobbs Camp SCV. The Hobbs Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Jimmy Hill will talk on the United Confederate Veterans. Public invited.
• Tanner Class of ’67 Women. Tanner High School Class of 1967 Women will have a “Meet & Eat” at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at 306 Barbecue Restaurant. For more information call Sandra Birdwell at 256.232.1628.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.