Legion of Honor ceremony
The Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will host at 3 p.m. today Denis Barbet, counsel general of France, who will present the Legion of Honor to four World War II veterans who fought in France: Cal Bonner, Theo Calvin, Jack Hunter and Clifford Wilford. Contact: Museum Director Sandy Thompson 256-771-7578.
Athens-Limestone Public Library will present a Glow-In-the-Dark painting class for teens only from 3:50 to 5 p.m. today. Library provides supplies. Contact: 256-232-1233.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will gather from 10 a.m. until noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Bring snacks to share. Jani Anderson will demonstrate how to make pottery. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Jan. 17, at 256-232-7207.
Tutor Training Workshop
A Tutor Training Workshop is available for volunteers to tutor adults who need help with reading. The Learn-To-Read Council workshop will be held from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Saturday at the Quad-Plex Office Building, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115S in Athens. Register at 256-230-3050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Winter Talent Show featuring acts from North Alabama and middle Tennessee will be held at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Athens Bible School’s Rollings-Lovell Auditorium. A suggested donation by the promoters of $5 per person will go toward scholarships for area students attending Florida College in Temple Terrace, Fla. The event is sponsored by the North Alabama Florida College Booster Club.
The Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park Committee will host the 16th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Ceremony at 11 a.m. Monday at Sweet Home Missionary Baptist Church in Athens. Limestone County Circuit Judge James W. Woodroof Jr. will speak and the Round Island Creek male chorus will perform. Lunch served. No cost. Contact: Robbin Hines 256-874-0287.
Volunteers are needed at all Limestone County senior centers to teach new classes in painting, drawing, crochet/knitting, needlepoint, ceramics and scrapbooking. Contact: Jennifer W. Reece 256-233-6412.
Senior centers activities
Limestone County senior centers participants age 60 and above interested in classes for yoga, Zumba Gold or both up to three afternoons a week are asked to contact Jennifer Reece at 256-233-6412 or Jennifer.email@example.com.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet for a Dutch lunch at 11 a.m. today, Jan. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse. Pam Smith of Hospice will talk on “Life Reflections.” Public invited.
• Tanner Class of ’67 Women. Tanner High School Class of 1967 Women will have a “Meet & Eat” at 5:30 p.m. today, Jan. 17, at 306 Barbecue Restaurant. Contact: Sandra Birdwell 256-232-1628.
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet at 6 tonight, Jan. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse. Guest speaker will be Sen. Arthur Orr.
• AMVETS. AMVETS will meet at 6 tonight, Jan. 17, at 22769 Bill Black Road. A covered dish dinner will be served.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP executive and general membership meetings will be held at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. respectively, tonight, Jan. 17, at 17308 U.S. 72 West. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Hobbs Camp SCV. The Hobbs Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 7 tonight, Jan. 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Jimmy Hill will talk on the United Confederate Veterans. Public invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.