Singles Valentine banquet
Singles of North Alabama will hold a Valentine banquet for singles at 6 p.m. Saturday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Bring covered dish to go with barbecue. No charge. Contact: Stuart Hall 256-604-8897.
Tax Service Counseling
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program income-tax service is being held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. every Monday and Thursday until April 15 at First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center at the corner of Pryor and Clinton streets in downtown Athens. No appointments will be given. Returns will be filed at no cost to the client. If interested, please bring tax returns from last year, Social Security numbers for each person in the household, birth dates for each person in the household, W-2 form(s) and 1099 form(s), if applicable. For more information, call Dean Morgan of RSVP at 256-232-7207.
The Athens-Limestone Beautification Board will hold the Dogwood Festival Fashion Show and Luncheon at noon Tuesday, March 12, at the Beasley Center, First United Methodist Church on the corner of Bryan and Marion streets. Fashions by Claborn Specialties Boutique and The Shoe Gallery II. Tickets are $25 and must be purchased no later than March 5. No tickets sold at the door. Ticket information: RSVP 256-232-7207.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the DAV, 25396 Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• Historic preservation. The regular meeting of the Athens Historic Preservation Commission will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the Public Works Department, 1600 W. Elm St.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Cory Brown, owner of the Catbird Seat, will present “Growing Flowers with Larger Blooms.” Meeting is open to members and their guests.
• Council on Aging. An “Associate & Appreciate” meeting will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 15, at Limestone County Council on Aging, 912 W. Pryor St. Meet officials for conversation, questions and to exchange ideas. Refreshments served.
• Support group. Positive Outlook will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Friday, Feb. 15, at the Athens Recreation Center. Positive Outlook is a support group for the blind and visually impaired. Contact: 256-232-1493.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.