The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

Election 2012

February 12, 2012

ELECTION 2012: Steven Haynes, Commission District 2 Q&A

Name: Steven L. Haynes

Age: 52

Civic or volunteer affiliations: 31 years in the military, 27 of those years with the Alabama Army National Guard

Educational background: Bachelor’s degree from Athens State University in criminal justice

• What do you see as the biggest challenge facing District 2 and what plans do you have to address the issue?

The growth of the district. New subdivisions mean new roads. I plan to use 90 percent of tax money on road projects.

• The upkeep of Limestone County’s roads and bridges is obviously an important part of being a county commissioner. What will you do to ensure taxpayer money is efficiently spent on projects?

To make sure work keeping up the roads and bridges is done by county workers and that all bid projects are done at the most cost-worthy price.

• All taxpayer money spent by the commission is open to public scrutiny. What specific ideas do you have regarding government transparency and what steps would you take to ensure the public is aware of how taxpayer dollars are spent?

Like I stated earlier that I would use 90 percent of all taxes for projects and the other 10 percent for maintenance of equipment and only purchase new equipment if needed. All of this would be shown in budget as part of record.

• Two large-scale projects being undertaken by the commission include the renovation of the courthouse and expansion of the jail. The county has also committed funds to building a new library on South Jefferson Street. As commissioner, what steps will you take to ensure these projects are completed within budget parameters and in a timely manner?

I would use my vote on the commission to do all that I could to ensure that cost and timely completion of all projects are met.

• Though the county declared an end to tornado debris cleanup operations, debris remains an issue in waterways and the county’s skyline is riddled with jagged, broken trees. What steps will you take to help return Limestone County to its pre-April 27 state?

I would see if there were any state or federal grants available to use for reclaiming projects.

 

1
Text Only
Election 2012
Poll

Do you think Athens-Limestone County is better prepared than in April 2011 to provide shelter from a major tornado?

Yes
No
     View Results
Facebook
AP Video
SKorea Ferry Toll Hits 156, Search Gets Tougher Video Shows Possible Syrian Gas Attack Cubs Superfans Celebrate Wrigley's 100th Raw: Cattle Truck Overturns in Texas Admirers Flock to Dole During Kansas Homecoming Raw: Erupting Volcanoes in Guatemala and Peru Alibaba IPO Could Be Largest Ever for Tech Firm FBI Joining Probe of Suburban NY 'Swatting' Call U.S. Paratroopers in Poland, Amid Ukraine Crisis US Reviews Clemency for Certain Inmates Raw: Violence Erupts in Rio Near Olympic Venue Raw: Deadly Bombing in Egypt Raw: What's Inside a Commercial Jet Wheel Well Raw: Obama Arrives in Japan for State Visit Raw: Anti-Obama Activists Fight Manila Police Motels Near Disney Fighting Homeless Problem Michigan Man Sees Thanks to 'bionic Eye' S.C. Man Apologizes for Naked Walk in Wal-Mart Chief Mate: Crew Told to Escape After Passengers
Twitter Updates
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Stocks
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Business Marquee