Financial Peace University
Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University begins at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Center for Lifelong Learning at 121 S. Marion St. on the courthouse Square in Athens. Preregister and get more information at 256-233-6135 or email@example.com.
Positive Look support group for blind and visually impaired family and friends will hear speaker Caitlin Simpson, an orientation and mobility specialist from 10 a.m.-noon Friday at Athens Recreation Center. Members are asked to bring refreshments to share. Contact: Richard Moroney at 800-671-6840.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church at 16479 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
Limestone County Poker Run to benefit the elderly will be held Saturday, with registration from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Country Club. Entry fees are $15 per person or $20 for two riders. For more information, call Mike Pylant at 256-278-6151.
Ride to Read trail ride
The Ride to Read trail ride, sponsored by the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, will be held Sunday, Oct. 7, at Neal Johnston Farm in Minor Hill, Tenn. Gate opens at 11 a.m. Ride starts at 2 p.m. Adults, $15; non-riders, $7; children under age 12, $7. Ride benefits the Athens-Limestone Public Library Foundation. Contact: 256-232-0111 or www.limestonesheriff.com.
Domestic violence meetings
Meetings will be held at 6 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 24 and Oct. 1 and 8, in advance of an Oct. 10 Crisis Services of North Alabama candlelight vigil on the courthouse Square for domestic-violence victims. Volunteers can call Christa Crabtree at 256-232-0280 for more information and the meeting location.
• Seniors. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet for Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. today at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street in Athens. Member Helen Kerry will speak.
• Republican Women. Limestone County Republican Women will meet at 6 p.m. today at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street in Athens. Social begins at 6; meeting begins at 6:30.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees, Chapter 1480, will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, at the Veterans Museum and Archives on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be Alisha Teeples with Limestone Health Facility, which will also provide breakfast. Contact: Dean Morgan at 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Members are asked to bring something for Iron in the Hat.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Caregivers or anyone with a family member or friend with Alzheimer’s is invited to attend. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-216-5683.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.