The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

Local News

January 7, 2014

Work on I-565 interchange slated to start Jan. 15

Project to add access point for County Line Road

— An estimated $14 million project to provide Madison with a second access point to Interstate 565 at County Line Road is set to begin this month, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation.

Construction of the new I-565 interchange will require the Exit 7 ramp of I-565 East and a portion of Madison Boulevard west of County Line Road to be closed starting Jan. 15, according to ALDOT spokeswoman Rebecca White.

The project’s start date will depend on the weather, with the closure estimated to be in place for nine months.

Motorists should expect reduced speed limits in construction zones and closures of services roads, along with ramps, lanes and shoulders.

The new interchange also involves adding ramps to the existing overpass and relocating a portion of Madison Boulevard, with ALDOT expecting the project to be complete by May 2015.

“When completed, the project will provide motorists full access to and from I-565 to Madison Boulevard and County Line Road,” White said. “Additionally, drivers in the vicinity of the city of Madison and Limestone and Madison counties will be afforded another access point in addition to the Wall Triana Highway, which currently experiences very heavy traffic.”

Motorists are asked to consider alternate routes, adjust departure times to allow for reduced speed limits and construction detours and use caution in work zones.

Madison City Engineer Gary Chynoweth said the state built the Wall Triana interchange when it completed I-565 more than 20 years ago, and the access point is “over capacity” due to significant population growth and heavy traffic on Wall Triana, Hughes Road and County Line Road.

The County Line interchange was previously estimated at $36 million, but Chynoweth said the original design had to be altered.

“The bids came in low, with the construction cost around $10 million, compared to $30 million for the previous design,” he said. “The new plan redesigned the interchange to avoid disturbing a historically significant home, and the redesign is significantly cheaper.”

Madison, which approved the project in January 2013, will pay 10 percent, while the state will be responsible for the remaining 90 percent.

Chynoweth said the city budgeted $3.6 million, but its share is now “under $2 million.” He said the overall cost of the project is $10 million, plus up to $4 million for utility relocations, land acquisition and the design phase.

1
Text Only
Local News
Poll

What is your favorite Easter candy?

Chocolate bunnies
Marshmallow chicks
Chocolate eggs with filling
     View Results
Facebook
AP Video
Obama Hopeful on Ukraine, Will Watch Russians Flamingo Frenzy Ahead of Zoo Construction Crew Criticized Over Handling of Ferry Disaster Agreement Reached to Calm Ukraine Tensions Raw: Pope Francis Performs Pre-easter Ritual Raw: Bulgarian Monastery Dyes 5000 Easter Eggs Diplomats Reach Deal to Ease Tensions in Ukraine U.S. Sending Nonlethal Aid to Ukraine Military Holder: Americans Stand With KC Mourners Obama Greets Wounded Warriors Malaysia Plane: Ocean Floor Images 'Very Clear' Sparks Fly With Derulo and Jordin on New Album Franco Leads Star-studded Broadway Cast Raw: Two Lucky Kids Get Ride in Popemobile Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing
Twitter Updates
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Stocks
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Business Marquee