By Jean Cole
Athens school board members approved several personnel recommendations submitted by Superintendent Trey Holladay during their regular monthly meeting Thursday. Here is a synopsis of the board’s action:
• Accepted the resignations of Jeff Wales, bus driver for the school system; Charity Hall, special education aide at Brookhill Elementary School; and Jennifer Williams, latchkey teacher at Julian Newman Elementary School.
• Agreed to transfer Ashley Randolph to science teacher at Athens Middle School; Cheryl Carter to physical education instructional aide at Athens Intermediate School; Joanna May to assistant principal yet to be assigned; Jill Davis to preschool special-education teacher at Athens Elementary School; Holly Hargrove to instructional aide at Julian Newman and Brookhill elementaries; Deborah Dobbs to interpreter for hearing impaired at Athens High School; Chris Hamilton to technology coordinator at the Central Office; Beth McKinney to instructional supervisor at the Central Office; Beth Patton to federal programs supervisor at Athens City Schools; and Amy Williams to instructional supervisor at the Central Office.
• Agreed to hire Rei Anna Datuin as special-education aide at Athens Middle; William Alexander as physical-education teacher at Athens Elementary, Jennifer Williamson as seventh-grade language arts teacher at Athens Middle, Amanda Tedford as social-studies teacher at Athens High, Eddie Murphree as head boys tennis coach, Lance Kelly as assistant varsity football coach, Andy Dye as head boys soccer coach at Athens Middle, Deborah Michael as systemwide special-education aide at Athens Elementary, Chris Pennington as assistant principal at Athens Middle, Cheryl Pennington as systemwide instructional aide at Brookhill Elementary, and Benitha Jones as assistant principal at Athens Intermediate.
• Granted leave of absence to James Willis, systemwide special-education aide at Athens Middle for the 2013-2014 school year.
• Granted maternity leave to Jennifer Williams, systemwide instructional aide at Julian Newman.
• Approved a list of volunteers for Athens High.