By Karen Middleton
Every year the Salvation Army strives to make Christmas brighter for those in the community who might not otherwise have a very bright holiday.
The Salvation Army will take applications to assist low-income families with food for Christmas dinner and/or toys from 9 a.m. until noon Monday, Oct. 7 through Friday, Oct. 11, at the thrift store at 699 East Hobbs St.
“This year the community’s help is crucial to our reaching families in need of assistance,” said Salvation Army Corps Officer David Sims. “The location has changed this year to our new location at the Salvation Army Thrift Store.”
Applicants should be prepared to bring the following items when they apply:
• Applications must be made in person by the head of the household and provide valid picture identifiction;
• Only one application per dwelling will be considered and will include all the residents of the household;
• These items are important when making application: personal ID (Social Security Card; printout from the SS office, or tax ID papers) for each household member. Original birth certificates – no copies – will be required for all children 12 and under;
• Proof of all bills, including rent and utilities with current resident’s name and service address. If you own any property or land, bring proof of property tax;
• Phone number – personal or where a message may be left
• Verification of all income in the household. This can be check stubs for a job, or any public assistance such as SSI, SA, child support, Food Stamps, housing and utility allowance , or AFDC;
• If there is no income, bring proof of bills being paid
• No applications will be taken over the phone;
• No children will be allowed to be present during the application process.