Winter storm forecasts for northern portions of Alabama may cause icy roads and hazardous driving conditions overnight and into early today.
The Alabama Department of Public Safety and the Alabama Department of Transportation strongly encourage all motorists to drive with extreme caution and to avoid roadways when weather conditions are prohibitive.
ALDOT reminds motorists they can check the conditions of Alabama’s state and federal highways at the following site:
http://www.dot.state.al.us (and click on road conditions on right sides of page).
Driving safety tips
State Troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
• Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving conditions develop.
• Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer
solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
• Remember weather and roadway conditions can quickly change. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
• During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
• Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop extremely hazardous “black ice.”
• Keep blankets, a first aid kit, a charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.