— Alabama state troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
• Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving conditions develop.
• Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions.
• Keep gas tanks at least half full.
• Remember weather and road conditions may change quickly. • Adapt speeds to existing road conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
• During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers, and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
• Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop extremely hazardous “black ice.”
• Keep blankets, a first-aid kit, a charged cellphone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.