The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

Local News

October 8, 2013

County reels in $545K in five grants

— The county has reeled in $545,595 in grants to defray expenses for bulletproof vests, aerial photos, senior center enhancements, a fire sprinkler system and a juvenile probation program.

During Monday’s regular meeting, the County Commission approved four grants totaling $534,595. The commissioners accepted an $11,000 digital information grant during Wednesday’s work session, with the county committing $2,200 for aerial photography through the Alabama Department of Transportation.

The county’s contribution for the five grants is $103,993, with other agencies providing $441,602 in matching funds.

The largest grant is through ALDOT’s Transportation Alternatives Program. The $470,012 TAP grant will help restore the Limestone County Archives in the former Louisville and Nashville Railroad depot at 102 W. Washington Street.

The county’s match is $94,002, or 20 percent, while ALDOT is contributing the remaining 80 percent, or $376,010. The 108-year-old building will receive a fire alarm system, a fire sprinkler dry system, new siding, fresh paint and a handicap-accessible ramp.

Goodsprings Senior Center will receive interior and exterior enhancements through a $4,000 grant from Alabama’s Mountains, Rivers & Valleys Resource Conservation & Development Councils.

The county secured a one-year agreement for a $45,000 agency grant from the state Department of Youth Services to provide funding for juvenile probation and outpatient programs through DYS.

The Sheriff’s Office is preparing to bid a Department of Justice matching grant of $15,583 for bulletproof vests, which must be bid out since the amount exceeds $15,000.

The county’s portion of the grant is $7,791, and Chief Deputy Randy King said this could purchase 22 to 23 vests. The county’s expense would be roughly $338 per vest if 23 could be bought following the bid process.

Public hearings

Two public hearings are on tap for the commission’s Oct. 21 meeting.

The commission will discuss the development of Carpenter industrial Park and a governmental services agreement with Carpenter Technology Corporation. CTC is constructing a $518 million specialty alloys plant on a 500,000-square foot site on Thomas L. Hammonds Road in Tanner.

The second hearing will be held to consider vacating a portion of Holland Drive, which is known as Holland Heights, west of Grady Street as platted in the Holland Heights Estates subdivision.

Text Only
Local News
Photos


Poll

Which foreign crisis is the biggest threat to the security of the United States?

Russia-Ukraine
Israel-Palestine
Iraq
None of the above
     View Results
Facebook
AP Video
House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways
Twitter Updates
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Stocks
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Business Marquee