In the next two weeks, students from across Limestone County will hit the road. Destination — spring break.
Next week, Athens State students will be the first in the county to take the highly anticipated getaway.
Athens city and Limestone County schools and Calhoun Community College students will observe spring break March 24-28.
Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson encourages all drivers to be cautious during spring break while students are traveling the roads, playing in neighborhoods and riding bicycles.
When it comes to traveling, Johnson advises students to be in contact with parents as much as possible. He also encourages students to travel in pairs or threes at all times and to keep an open line of communication with at least one other person at all time.
Travel safety tips
Those who plan to hit the road are encouraged to have their vehicles inspected before any extensive travel.
Express Oil Change is one business in Limestone County that offers a free travel inspection for customers. The inspection consists of a visual examination of all key vehicle systems including belts, hoses, fluid levels and tires.
“The top concerns of people preparing for an extended drive are always safety and performance of the vehicle,” said Jeff Grissom, vice president of operations at Express Oil Change. “We want our customers to check key points of the vehicle before they head out on the road.”
Express Oil Change recommends completing the following safety and performance checks:
• Tires should be properly inflated with plenty of tread life for safety and maximized fuel efficiency. Don’t forget to check the spare tire.
• Have the battery tested to guarantee it has plenty of life.
• Verify the engine coolant, belts and hoses are in proper working order. The number one cause of breakdowns is cooling system breakdown.
• Check the oil level to be sure it is providing the proper level of protection. Get the oil changed prior to departure if it will be due in the middle of the trip.
• Be sure you have clean air filters and fuel filters.
• There should be no warning indicator lights illuminated on the dash. At the same time, make sure exterior lights such as headlights and brake lights are all in working order.