By Kim West
Torrential rain, blustering gusts of wind and nickel-sized hail struck Limestone County during a series of storms Monday afternoon but no serious injuries were reported.
A house fire at 605 E. Pryor St. in dAthens was reported but EMA Safety Officer Eddie Gilbert said it was “not certain if it was weather-related.” A mobile home roof was blown off on Shaw Road in the Clements community, and a tree fell on an Athens home on Batts Road.
Athens Utilities reported 286 customers lost power during the storms.
As of 4 p.m. Monday, other reported damage to the EMA included:
• Utility pole transformer fire on Lentzville Road;
• Fallen tree on Alabama 99;
• Utility line on home at Garrett Road in Belle Mina;
• Utility pole at intersection of New Cut and Zehner roads;
• Power line on the road at Elkwood section on Old School House Road;
• Tree on fire on Hatchie Lane in southern Limestone County; and
• Tree on power line at Siniard Road in Lester.