For The News Courier
Several students representing Calhoun Community College recently attended the Alabama SkillsUSA Leadership conference in Birmingham.
The Calhoun winners were:
• Paul Parker, Union Grove – Architectural Drafting (received a $2,000 department of postsecondary education scholarship)
• Robert Estes, Hartselle – Technical Drafting (received a $2,000 department of postsecondary education scholarship)
• Marc Spengler, Decatur – Electrical Construction Wiring (received a $2,000 department of postsecondary education scholarship)
• Scott Alford, Huntsville – Computer Programming
• Travis Crouse, Huntsville – Computer Maintenance
• Samantha Kirkland, Hartselle – Job Skill Demonstration
• Thomas Steele, Hartselle – Technical Drafting
• Christina Howard, Anderson – Job Interview
• Daniel Starr, Oxford – Computer Maintenance
• Mercedes Hursh, Athens – Job Skill Demonstration
• Marcia Childers, Hartselle – Automated Manufacturing
• Shawn Anderson, Athens – Automated Manufacturing
• Gene Smith, Somerville – Automated Manufacturing
• Hunter Partridge, Madison – CNC Turning
• Anthony Hardin, New Market – Computer Programming
All first-place winners automatically advance to compete at the National Leadership and Skills Conference to be held in June in Kansas City, Mo.
SkillsUSA, formerly known as VICA, is a national nonprofit organization devoted to preparing students for careers in technical, skilled, and service occupations.
Calhoun's SkillsUSA Chapter advisors are instructors Nick Agrawal (computer information systems); Nina Bullock (drafting); Steve Smith (machine tool technology); Mark Rose (industrial technology) and Collis Sims (electrical technology)