The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

April 9, 2013

Clements firefighters battle blaze in wall


— A firefighter puts out hot spots in the kitchen of a Clements home after the wall caught fire Monday afternoon. A plumber was soldering faucet fittings when firefighters say an unknown material inside the wall caught fire. The plumber was leaving the job at the structure next to Clements Baptist Church when he noticed smoke pouring from the garage. He called 911 before returning to the house and warning homeowner Dean Cockrum, who was able to move his dogs out of the house. Clements and Owens crews responded to the fire. Firefighters said if the plumber had not called, the house could have been lost within 10-15 minutes.