The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

January 17, 2013

Fire damages Athens home as winter weather looms

By Jean Cole
jean@athensnews-courier.com

ATHENS — With winter weather threatening, a kitchen grease fire severely damaged the roof of a home in Athens Thursday afternoon, displacing — at least temporarily — a family of six.

Homeowner Jane Farmer, a secretary at Athens Elementary School, said she lives in the one-story brick home on Gordon Drive along with her son and four grandchildren.

She said her son had left the home, immediately realized he had left a pan on the stove and rushed home, she said. But by then, the grease had ignited and smoke was coming from the eaves.

No one was injured. The grandchildren were at school at the time; their bicycles and swing set visible in the yard. Farmer said her son rushed to the home to get the family dog, which was waiting by a door.

The roof of the home sustained fire and water damage and the interior sustained smoke and water damage. However, firefighters had to remove the roof’s eaves and a portion of an interior wall to fully extinguish the blaze.

Farmer said she and her family have other family members who can take them in temporarily until she can clean up the home.