ATHENS — Firefighters and law-enforcement officer blocked traffic to Sanderfer Road in Athens for 10 to 15 minutes this morning to investigate a possible hazardous-waste leak from a CSX rail car, Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson said. An unknown substance was leaking from a train car, and officials initially believed the substance was coming from a tank car. However, it was determiend the substance was alfalfa and that it was leaking from the car in front of the tank car. Traffic had been restored by 10:45 a.m.
- Local News
Walking Horse Show makeup date set for Aug. 1
The show, originally to be held last week, was canceled because of rain.
Storms possible across Limestone through Thursday
Storms will be more numerous Wednesday evening into Thursday as a weak cold front approaches.
Body pulled from lake identified as missing woman
Sarah Jane Ortiz of Valley Head was found in the lake by a fisherman on Friday.
- Arrest reports for 7/22/14
- County Commission agrees to $5,500 ADEM fine
- Search and rescue training
- 6 arrested in Ardmore drug bust
School releases ID of student found dead at UAH
Authorities have identified a student found dead in a dormitory at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- Student found dead in dorm at UAH
- Mayor's office: Birmingham has shot at convention
- More Local News Headlines
- Walking Horse Show makeup date set for Aug. 1