An early-morning fire Friday caused extensive damage to the interior of a mobile home off of Cross Key Road in Piney Chapel.
The family of five living in the home was not actually staying there at the time of the fire, but in a camper adjacent to it, because their air conditioning was broken.
Piney Chapel Fire and Rescue and Owens Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call after 1:30 a.m., when family members were reportedly awakened when someone drove up in their driveway honking a horn. WAFF-48 said one person was burned trying to put out the fire with a hose.
Owens VFD said most of the damage was contained to the utility room, where the fire is suspected to have started. There is smoke and water damage throughout the rest of the home.