— Steve Maples, left, executive director of the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, stands with Jimmy Bryan following a recent meeting of the Athens Rotary Club where Maples shared success stories of the center. Maples served as director of the center since 2007. He recently oversaw the completion of $30 million renovations and said the next phase of capital improvements is slated for the North Hall. A liquor and lodging tax provides funds for the Von Braun Center to operate. When asked about performers and their demands, Maples said, “Our most demanding client was Elton John when he appeared in concert. We had to build him a $15,000 dressing room to his specifications and was, of course, at his expense.” Approximately one million guests attended 540 events at the center in 2012 according to Maples.
- Local News
- Limestone Ledger 7/29/14
- Council holds hearing on new liquor store in Athens
- Athens delays vote on retiree bonuses
- BREAKING: Federal Mogul's $5M expansion to bring 11 jobs
- Foul play ruled out in death of cupcake truck driver
- ALERT: Lindsay Lane closed through the week
NWS: Alabama could see more cool weather records
The cooler weather will hang around for a few days, with daytime highs expected in the 80s in central Alabama into the weekend.
Tanner's Bill Bridgeforth among two Alabama farmers being honored by White House
Bridgeforth and Lee Haynes of Cullman are among 15 people being recognized as so-called "Champions of Change" in Washington on Tuesday.
- State firefighters head west
- Athens council to consider abatement, civil rights recognition, liquor store
- More Local News Headlines