Athens City Council members will vote on declaring structures as unsafe, rezoning property off U.S. 72 West, abandoning a drainage and utility easement, granting a franchise with Contact Network Inc., construction of a U.S. 72 East truck sewer, budgeting more money for Whitlow and Winslow subdivision sewer work and other matters during their regular meeting Monday.
The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. in the municipal courtroom of Athens Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St. A 4:30 p.m. work session will precede the meeting, during which council members will discuss items on the agenda and listen to a presentation by the youth commission.
The following items are included on the agenda:
Council members will take comments from the public on the following matters:
• A request from new business Touchdown Wings to sell alcoholic beverages;
• A request to condemn a home at 702 Acorn Hill Circle;
• An unsafe structure at 1204 Widow Drive;
• An unsafe structure at 312 Vine St.
Council members will consider the following resolutions:
• To determine that 1204 Widow Drive is unsafe and a public nuisance;
• To determine that 312 Vine St. is a public nuisance.
Council members will consider the following business:
• Resolution to reappoint City Planner Mac Martin to the Historic Preservation Commission;
• Resolution to reschedule the May 27 City Council meeting to May 28 due to the Memorial Day holiday;
• Resolution to declare as surplus some Public Works Department property so it can be sold;
• Resolution to approve travel expenses for the Electric Department;
• Resolution to reset a public hearing on a rezoning request from Little Zion Missionary Baptist Church.
Council members will consider the following items on the regular calendar:
• Ordinance to approve rezoning for property located in the 800 block of U.S. 72 West, which was introduced at the April 22 meeting;
• Ordinance to approve abandoning a portion of a drainage and utility easement;
• Resolution to approve applying to COPS Hiring Program for the Police Department;
• Resolution to approve an amendment to the joint fiber-optic network agreement between the Athens and Limestone County;
• Ordinance granting a franchise to Contact Network Inc.;
• Resolution to approve a pole-attachment agreement with Contact Network Inc.
• Resolution to approve construction of the U.S. 72 East trunk sewer;
• Resolution to approve an increase in budget for the installation of Whitfield/Winslow subdivision sewers.