Roadway improvements, subdivision additions and community safe rooms continue to be major areas of focus for the County Commission.
The commission approved Monday two change orders for safe rooms, financing agreements for three road projects with the state Department of Transportation through the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program and 45 lots in three subdivisions.
The ATRIP projects are for Thomas L. Hammonds Road improvements, increasing grant financing from $630,000 to $679,000; a $559,180 project to resurface Elk River Mills Road from Baker Hill Road to Tillman Mill Road, with a county match of $111,836; and resurfacing Nick Davis Road from Mooresville Road to Sanderson Road for $826,560, with a county match of $165,312.
The change orders are to increase the size of all concrete footings for the Ark of Promise safe room site for $5,937 and the Ardmore safe room for $15,159.
The subdivision additions are 36 lots at The Arbors off Newby Road in District 2, four at Maddox Place III on North Wales Road in District 1 and five for Twin Oaks’ Phase II on Townsend Ford Road in District 4.
Other agenda items
In other business, the county approved the following:
• a $32,226 change order with Reed Contracting Services Inc. for providing and installing additional drainage structures for Carpenter Technologies on Thomas L. Hammonds Road, increasing the contract amount to $601,965;
• hiring Darron Lewter, assistant building and grounds maintenance worker; Joseph Jackson, equipment operator, level 1, in District 1; Milton Pepper, equipment operator, level 3 in District 2; David Martinez, corrections officer; and Mitzi Cooley, license tag clerk;
• merit increases for Kelly Adams, Brenda Bridgeforth, Kathy Cothren, Jimmy Gatlin, Lauri King, Tracy McConnell, Jennifer Reece, Wanda Reese, William “Lance” Royals, Rickey Smith, Delores Thompson, Ricky Thompson, Leigh Todd and Andrew Vanschoiack;
• changing the Precinct No. 2 polling location from the National Guard Armory to Lindsay Lane Baptist Church at 1300 Lindsay Lane Road for the 2014 election cycle due to renovations at the armory;
• labor to build a connecting road from the East Limestone High School parking lot to Elkins Road;
• crushed stone for the parking lot behind the temporary District Attorney’s Office on Washington Street.
The commission will hold a work session at 10 a.m. April 16 at the Washington Street courthouse annex.