By Jean Cole
A security consultant hired to improve safety at Athens City Schools has recommended numerous possible changes at each of the city’s seven schools.
• Placing armed police officers at all schools;
• Creating a secure waiting area for visitors;
• Building fences or concrete barriers to hide vulnerable outdoor areas;
• Adding metal coverings to interior and exterior door windows;
• Installing bulletproof glass in some areas; and
• Applying mirror tinting on other windows.
In the wake of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, Athens school board members agreed in December to hire security consultant Cecil Moses of the Moses Group to survey each school and note vulnerabilities at each.