The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

Local News

January 4, 2013

No fowl lost in chicken-house fire

— Amazingly, no chickens were killed, but fumes ran high as Limestone County crews responded to a chicken-house blaze Thursday afternoon.

Oak Grove Fire Chief Charles Claunch said an electrical short is to blame for a small fire that broke out in an industrial chicken coop off of Mooresville Road in the Thach area.

Three volunteer fire departments, Oak Grove, Piney Chapel and East Limestone, were called out to the L.A. Newby farm but by the time crews arrived, Claunch said a farm worker had put out approximately 80 percent of the flames with a garden hose.

Claunch said his one-engine department calls for backup with any fire reported at a large structure like the chicken house, because of all the chemicals and gases that are like large propane tanks. He said large structure fires like that are “impossible” to extinguish.

It took approximately 2 minutes for crews to hose down the rest of the fire, but inspecting the coop for any further dangers and clearing out smoke kept firefighters on the scene for several more minutes, Claunch said.

1
Text Only
Local News
Poll

A recent national telephone survey found 75 percent of respondents believe the sale and use of pot will eventually be legal nationwide. Do you think marijuana should be legal in Alabama?

Yes
No
No, but I don’t think pot smokers should go to jail
Yes, but only for medical use
Yes, but only for personal adult use
     View Results
Facebook
AP Video
Twitter Updates
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Stocks
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Business Marquee