- Local News
- Electric bills to increase 6% for Athens Utilities customers
Mardi Gras parade held on Marion Street
The third annual Athens Mardi Gras parade was held Tuesday evening in front of the Center for Lifelong Learning on the downtown Square.
A special table was set up for children and adults to string beads before the parade and many revelers showed up dressed for the occasion.
School board splits on principal transfer
During the one-hour meeting, the board voted 4-3 against Superintendent Dr. Tom Sisk’s recommendation to transfer Clements High School Principal Keith Hairrell to assistant principal at West Limestone High School.
- Melson seeking District 1 state senate seat
Career Tech students medal in school's SkillsUSA contest
Among this year’s gold medalists are Tanner’s Katie Pepper, who came in third in design drafting at state in 2013, and East Limestone’s Matthew Pittenger, who earned bronze in computer maintenance technology at state last year. To view all available winners, visit The News Courier's photo gallery.
- School system spotlights Special Needs Rodeo helpers
- UPDATE: Local streets closed by sewer work
- Children allegedly present amid motel meth lab
- Athens man accused of choking wife
National parks in Alabama attract nearly 718,000
A new report from the National Park Service says the national parks in Alabama had nearly 718,000 visitors in 2012.
The park service estimates the visitors spent $26.5 million.
- More Local News Headlines