- Local News
Mardi Gras parade set for Tuesday on The Square
New attractions this year include rides for the kids on the Lion’s Club Carnival Train, unique lighted headpieces worn by the ArtHeads, “Make your own Beads” activity tables and a costume contest.
Move to recycling carts boosts participation
In August 2013, the city switched to single-stream recycling, which prevents the city from having to sort recyclables. In the change to single-stream, the city eliminated its 18-gallon green bins and switched to the 96-gallon blue carts.
Young seeks D-5 county school board seat
The position is currently held by James Shannon. However, Shannon is seeking the District 1 seat on the Limestone County Commission, so will not seek re-election to the school board seat, which is a six-year term.
- Hill seeks D-1 commission seat
- City departments get slices of leftover pie
- Alabama daycare worker arrested on abuse charge
- City declares Tanner tornado property public nuisance
Tanner’s title defense ends in semifinals
Tanner’s bid at a third state championship in four years ended Tuesday with a 61-52 loss to Elba in the 2A semifinals. The defending champs couldn’t overcome a size advantage for Elba, struggling to score or rebound in the paint.
- FINAL 48: Tanner falls to Elba the semis
- FINAL 48: Tanner hanging with Elba in the fourth
- More Local News Headlines
- Mardi Gras parade set for Tuesday on The Square