• Approved in regular session a resolution to name a new recreation area off Sanderfer Road the Jimmy Wayne Gill Park in honor of Councilman Gill, of whom Councilman Ronnie Marks said had worked “tirelessly” to improve youth recreation facilities in his district.
• Approved the emergency purchase of a new brush truck for the Athens Fire Department at a cost of $33,578.28 from Jimmy Smith.
• Introduced a resolution to be voted on at the Aug. 27 meeting to accept the low bid of $325,000 from Crews Construction to build a new North Alabama Mental Health Center building off Elm Street. The cost would be split with Limestone County.
• Set a date of Aug. 21 at 11:45 a.m. in Limestone County Probate Judge Mike Davis’ office to certify the results of today’s special-election results.
• Approved a resolution of support for the Tennessee Valley Rehabilitation Service Center. The resolution is necessary from local governmental entities for the board to take to granting agencies as documentation.
• Approved an agreement with the Alabama Public Healthcare Authority to transfer the deed of a portion of city- and county-owned property off U.S. 31 South to the state for the building of a new Health Department building.