The News Courier in Athens, Alabama

November 30, 2009

Noah moved from ICU

Twenty-one-month–old Noah Crowe, son of John David and Jessica Crowe, who had surgery for a brain tumor a week ago at Children’s Hospital of Birmingham, has been moved out of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, where he has been since the surgery.

Crowe, who is minister of music at Friendship United Methodist Church, said he and his wife noticed that Noah had a sudden loss of motor skills just days before his surgery. Once flown by medical helicopter to the hospital it was discovered that the toddler had a large brain tumor and he was given massive doses of steroids to hold the growth at bay.

During surgery, doctors discovered that the child had been close to death because the tumor had aggressively attached itself to key parts of the brain and had several veins going through it, according to his father.

In a surgery that lasted most of a day surgeons cut away parts of the tumor, surgeons would have to stop frequently to put blood back in his body and get his blood pressure back to normal. Noah lost 1.25 times his total blood volume during the surgery, he said.

It was feared that Noah would be paralyzed on his right side, but he is able to move that side.

The Crowes continue to wait upon the pathology report. The following is from excerpts from a Sunday entry on the Pray For Noah blog written by John David and Jessica Crowe. The website is

“Today was not a bad day at all. Jessica and I are so glad that Noah is away from all the stress of the PICU. He has slept more than I have ever seen him sleep - and that’s fine with me. From what we have been told and read, patients who have brain surgery sleep more post operation than any other surgery…Jessica got to spend time holding Noah.

He and I ate a lot of chips and ice cream and watched America’s funniest home videos.  Hearing him laugh again is the best sound I have heard. The neurosurgeon who saw him this morning said he was recovering remarkably well.

(We all know why)  They decided today was the day to see if his brain could handle crimping the tube coming out of his head. He has a drain to relieve the pressure in his head. It’s amazing how much fluid has poured out these last few days.

They crimped it this morning and told us to watch if he lost consciousness or threw up. They didn’t seem worried about that at all and sure enough he had excellent blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, appetite and energy - boy does he have energy - all day.

So we are expecting a good CT scan in the morning at 5 a.m. They will look at the fluid in his brain and the swelling and if everything goes well, they will take the tube out. 

It will be such a relief to him. He tries to touch it a lot and we really have to watch him so that he doesn’t pull on it or try to pull it out.”