Five Limestone County teams won on a rainy Friday night, while two others suffered lopsided defeats against state powerhouses.
Led by first-year coach Clint Legg, Class 4A Ardmore used its dominating running attack to remain unbeaten with a 36-16 road victory at Randolph on Friday. The Tigers return to Cooper Field to play their homecoming game against 3A Clements, which fell 52-6 at Lauderdale County.
After a tough 14-6 loss at No. 5 Hartselle in Week 3, 5A Athens ran into the Muscle Shoals juggernaut at Golden Eagle Stadium in a 35-0 loss to the fourth-ranked Trojans. Muscle Shoals has outscored its opponents 181-0 in four games, and is the only AHSAA or AISA team in the state that has not allowed a score.
East Limestone nabbed its first win this season with in a 34-20 road contest at Lawrence County as all-around star Jordon Gandy caught a 55-yard touchdown pass from Brick Pugh and Dhalquille Eichelberger ran for three scores.
Elkmont earned a 35-21 win at West Morgan in 3A, Region 8, while the Red Devils’ Week 5 opponent, 4A West Limestone, steamrolled past East Lawrence, 49-14. Elkmont’s Jared Bailey and Zeb Pankey each ran for two touchdowns, while West’s Logan Pugh accounted for three scores, including an 18-yard TD pass from Drew Blakely.
Tanner, the second-ranked team in 2A, took care of previously undefeated Lexington behind kickoff return scores by JonJon Fletcher and Hayden Stephens. The Rattlers shut down a comeback attempt by Lexington thanks to a trio of fourth-quarter interceptions by Deshun Freeman, Jalen Houston and Sydnae Townsend.
With six teams traveling outside the county in Week 4, five schools will be back on Limestone turf next Friday, including Elkmont at West Limestone and Clements at Ardmore. Both Athens and East will be on the road against 6A teams before the Indians host the Golden Eagles on Oct. 4 at Cavnar Field.
Week 4 scoreboard
Ardmore 36, Randolph 16
East Limestone 34, Lawrence County 20
Elkmont 35, West Morgan 21
Tanner 35, Lexington 14
West Limestone 49, East Lawrence 13
Lauderdale County 52, Clements 6
Muscle Shoals 35, Athens 0
Week 5 schedule
Ardmore (4-0) vs. 3A Clements (1-3)
Athens (2-2) at 6A Austin
East Limestone (1-3) at 6A James Clemens
Elkmont (2-2) at 4A West Limestone (2-2)
Tanner (3-1) vs. 1A R.A. Hubbard
Friday night highlights
• Ardmore defensive back Dominic Clemmons — two interceptions in 36-16 win at Randolph; the Tigers defense held the Raiders to negative-4 yards of total offense through two quarters
• Ardmore running backs Braydon Edwards, Josh Meloon and Chris Welling — combined for 43 carries for 284 yards and three touchdowns
• Clements’ Carson Cook — one interception
• East Limestone running back Dhalquille Eichelberger — 24 carries for 155 yards and three touchdowns
• East Limestone defensive back Nick Walsh — two interceptions
• East Limestone defensive lineman DeAnte Griffith — two sacks
• Elkmont running back Jared Bailey — 16 carries for 94 yards and two touchdowns and an interception on defense
• Elkmont running back Zeb Pankey — Seven carries for 53 yards and two touchdowns
• Tanner quarterback JonJon Fletcher — 10 carries for 66 yards and two touchdowns and a 68-yard kickoff return TD
• Tanner running back Hayden Stephens — 16 rushes for 192 yards, a rushing touchdown and a 90-yard kickoff return TD
• Tanner defensive backs Deshun Freeman, Jalen Houston and Sydnae Townsend — combined for three interceptions in the fourth quarter in 35-14 win at Lexington
• West Limestone running back Logan Pugh — Nine carries for 102 yards and two touchdowns and an 18-yard TD reception
• West Limestone’s Chase Lancaster — 40-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown
• West Limestone kicker Matthew Sanders — 7 for 7 on extra-points