• Game captains were seniors Johnnie Anderson, Reggie Battles, Bram McGrady and D.J. Pride for Athens, and Zachary Sullivan and Ethon Felton for Muscle Shoals.
• Athens, which last won a state title in 2006 and went to the playoffs in 2010, still has a 17-7 record against Muscle Shoals, including six straight wins from 2004-09.
• Muscle Shoals, which has transitioned from a last-place team in the region to a state title contender under sixth-year coach Scott Basden, have won the past four meetings with Athens by a combined score of 118-10.
• During the past seven seasons, Athens has been held scoreless six times at Golden Eagle Stadium, including a 24-0 loss to Muscle Shoals in 2011.
• Muscle Shoals kicker Rhett Morrison converted all five of his extra point attempts. He missed a 40-yard field goal in the second quarter.