West Limestone loses to Butler at NW Regional
Justin Taylor didn't imagine being on the floor of Tom Drake Coliseum in February when basketball season began four months ago.
Having a third straight 20 win season wasn't on the West Limestone coach's radar either.
Boy, did he get a surprise.
- NORTHWEST REGIONAL: Rattlers win again at Wallace
- NORTHWEST REGIONAL: Athens takes down 3-time defending champs Wenonah
- NORTHWEST REGIONAL: Athens knocks off No. 2 Wenonah
Athens leads No. 2 Wenonah 44-26 at halftime
Facing a team that just set a state record by scoring 154 points in a playoff game, Athens didn’t back down. Instead, AHS attacked No. 2 Wenonah and jumped out to a 18-2 lead within the first five minutes of Wednesday’s 5A boys Northwest Regional semifinal.
NORTHWEST REGIONAL: Indians fall to Pleasant Grove in regional semifinal
For eight minutes, East Limestone couldn’t miss.
The Indians led by as many as 13 points early on, but couldn’t hang on against a relentless Pleasant Grove press in a 50-48 loss at the 5A girls regional semifinal.
- NORTHWEST REGIONAL: East Limestone leads Pleasant Grove 30-28 at halftime
- Auburn's Chris Denson on scoring tear
Malzahn wants slowdown rule tabled until next year
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn wants to slow down consideration of a rule taking aim at uptempo offenses.
Malzahn said Tuesday that he has spoken "numerous times" over the previous five days with the chairman of the committee that passed a proposal designed to rein in offenses like the Tigers' hurry-up, no-huddle attack.
- Florida jumps to No. 2 in AP poll
- More Sports Headlines
- West Limestone loses to Butler at NW Regional