Magistrate Judge Gerard Hansen set Akein Scott's bond at $10 million — $500,000 on each of the 20 counts in the Mother's Day shooting case. Authorities earlier said 19 were wounded, but prosecutors told Hansen the number had increased.
Akein Scott was arrested Wednesday night in the Little Woods section of New Orleans. He already faced gun and drug possession charges and was out on bond at the time of Sunday's shooting.
At a later appearance Thursday morning, a state District Court judge ordered Scott held without bond pending additional hearings in that case. Akein Scott faces a felony charge of illegally carrying a weapon while in possession of a controlled dangerous substance.
In the neighborhood where the gunfire shattered the festive parade known as a second line, residents awoke Thursday to the news that the manhunt for Akein Scott apparently had ended. Police had been searching for Akein Scott since identifying him as a suspect Monday from the surveillance video.
Courtney Moles, whose apartment overlooks the shooting site, said she didn't feel her safety was in jeopardy while police searched the city.
"I didn't really think he would come back. It's more personal than that," she said. "He wasn't going to that second line to make national news. He was probably settling some kind of score."
Moles, 24, said the arrest underscores the city's crisis of violence among its young people. "His life is over now, too," she said of Scott.
Police have not established a motive. Officials initially said three people were spotted running away from the shooting scene, but Akein Scott had been the only suspect identified publicly until his brother's arrest was announced Thursday.
Investigators launched an intense search for Akein Scott, with police Superintendent Ronal Serpas urging him to surrender at a news conference Monday and warning the teen that "we know more about you than you think we know." At one point, SWAT team members and U.S. marshals served a search warrant at one location but did not find Scott.