U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-5th, left, presented two foreign military medals Friday to Persian Gulf War veteran Ryan Walker of New Market. The presentation took place at the Alabama Veterans Museum in Athens. Brooks presented Walker with Kuwait Liberation medals from the countries of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Brooks described Friday’s event as unusual because the medals are from a foreign country in recognition of exemplary service not only to the United States, but also to countries in the Middle East.
- Top Local News
- Temps to reach mid-70s today; chill to return Wednesday night
- Council hopes police, fire raises will make Athens a contender
- $2,000 reward offered for trailer, equipment
- Women assaults Limestone deputy during arrest
- Girl says man sexually abused her for years
- Today's Local Feature
- State and Nation
Ala woman exploring with Google Glass device
For Rainbow City's Chara Kelley, what started with a simple tweet has turned into a new career with travels around the world.
Last February, Kelley used Twitter to enter a contest from Google and was one of 8,000 people selected to become a "Google Glass Explorer."Continued ...
- Elderly Decatur woman found living with dead spouse
- House budget seeks to do away with teacher bonus
- State Senate committee OKs loaded pistols in vehicles
- Bentley won't sign budget without teacher raise
- Ala woman exploring with Google Glass device
- Local Sports
5 Limestone student-athletes selected as Bryant-Jordan winners
Limestone County students are well represented among the list of Bryant-Jordan student-athlete winners, announced by the AHSAA this week.Continued ...
- Potts picks MTSU
- Athens soccer team finishes 2nd at Florence tournament
- COLUMN: Banner year for Limestone basketball
- Lauderdale County wins 3rd straight girls title
- 5 Limestone student-athletes selected as Bryant-Jordan winners
Florida, Wichita State stay 1-2 in AP poll
Florida, which finished an unbeaten season in the Southeastern Conference, and Wichita State, which completed an undefeated regular season, are the top two teams in the AP college basketball poll for the third straight week.Continued ...
- Bill could give home-schooled kids sports options
- No. 25 Kentucky survives Alabama 55-48
- Bucks sign former Tide player Tony Mitchell to 10-day contract
- James scores 61, setting career-high and Heat-best
- Florida, Wichita State stay 1-2 in AP poll
- Calhoun bringing ‘Hamlet’ to Black Box Theatre
- Athens student serving as FCCLA state officer
- Behaviorists: Dogs feel no shame despite the look
- 'Which (blank) are you?' Online quizzes go viral
- Cream of the crop: Two Limestone County 4-H students to attend national conference
- Calendar of Events