U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-5th, left, presented two foreign military medals Friday to Persian Gulf War veteran Ryan Walker of New Market. The presentation took place at the Alabama Veterans Museum in Athens. Brooks presented Walker with Kuwait Liberation medals from the countries of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Brooks described Friday’s event as unusual because the medals are from a foreign country in recognition of exemplary service not only to the United States, but also to countries in the Middle East.
- Top Local News
- Today's Local Feature
Temps take a dip
A hint of fall will remain in the air this week as temperatures and humidity are forecasted to remain about 10 degrees under average, according to meteorologist Tim Troutman at the National Weather Service in Huntsville.Continued ...
- Folk art homestead draws in the curious
- Smithsonian exhibit planners seek local volunteers, money, artifacts
- Temps take a dip
- State and Nation
- Study: 35 percent in U.S. facing debt collectors
- Despite good news, entitlement programs face problems
- Alabama fugitive captured at West Palm Beach hospital
- Newborn southern Alabama boy killed in car crash
- ASU president gets car allowance but has no car
- Local Sports
TRACTOR PULL: A new generation takes over in Tanner
One of the first families of the Tanner pull is the Haneys. Horace Haney, along with brother, Shirley, co-founded the event in 1976 that draws thousands to the county each year. The sons of those pulling pioneers now run the show.Continued ...
- Clay Haney follows in father’s footsteps
- North win streak improves to 12
- Local athletes lead North to soccer sweep
- Davidson helps North tie
- TRACTOR PULL: A new generation takes over in Tanner
NBA, Clippers eager for Sterling out, Ballmer in
"We look forward to the transaction closing as soon as possible," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement.Continued ...
- Italy's Vincenzo Nibali wins Tour de France
- Rookie QB says 'never fun to get punched' in face
- SEC serves as a launching pad from college to the NFL draft
- Cowboys' Rolando McClain back to football after court date
- NBA, Clippers eager for Sterling out, Ballmer in
- Calendar of Events