By Kim West
Nineteen road projects and 12 bridge replacements are among the Alabama Transportation and Rehabilitation Improvement Program projects awarded to Limestone County, the city of Athens and town of Elkmont.
The pre-construction process is already underway for all ATRIP projects located within Limestone County, said County Engineer Richard Sanders. The overall process is expected to take two to three years to complete.
The first bid opening for a county project is scheduled for January 2014 for the replacement of the Mooresville Road Bridge over French’s Mill Creek.
The state awarded ATRIP projects in three phases, with an estimated $966 million being invested statewide in more than 1,000 road infrastructure projects.
State officials expect 15,000 jobs to be generated from ATRIP.
The estimated cost of all 29 projects, which includes the clustering of four bridge replacements into two projects, is $17.5 million. ATRIP is contributing 80 percent, or $14 million, while the local 20 percent match is $3.5 million.
The county expects to contribute $1.7 million for 15 projects, with the city and county splitting the $41,200 local cost of intersection improvements at Huntsville-Browns Ferry Road and U.S. 31.
The city’s price tag is $1.6 million for its 12 projects. Elkmont’s local match is $81,400 to resurface Upper Fort Hampton Road from Alabama 127 to Sandlin Road.
“I think this is going to be a really good program, and all are in some stage of development at this time,” said County Engineer Richard Sanders. “We hope to start construction on the first project in spring 2014.”
Listed below are the 29 projects awarded within Limestone County to the county, Athens and Elkmont.
• Mooresville Road Bridge over French’s Mill Creek
• Lucas Ferry Road Bridge over Mud Creek
• Two bridges on Ragsdale Creek Road over Ragsdale Creek
• Thach Road Bridge over unnamed branch north of Wooley Springs Road
• Grigsby Ferry Road Bridge over Branch
• Quinn Road Bridge over Round Island Creek
• Quinn Road Bridge over Beauchamp Branch
• Liberty Lane Bridge over Little Limestone Creek
• Cambridge Lane Bridge over French’s Mill Creek
• Two bridges on Forrest Street at Swan Creek
• Huntsville-Browns Ferry Road and U.S. 31 (city and county)
• East Limestone Road and Capshaw Road
• East Limestone Road from Elkins Road to East Limestone High School
• Nick Davis Road from Mooresville Road to Sanderson Road
• Elk River Mills Road from Baker Hill Road to Alabama 99
• Thach Road from Interstate 65 to Alabama 251
• Garrett Road from U.S. 31 to Piney Creek
• Morris Road from Easter Ferry Road to Alabama 127
• Lucas Ferry and Sanderfer roads from U.S. 31 to Alabama 99 (city)
• Lindsay Lane from Browns Ferry Road to Alabama 251
• Washington Street from U.S. 72 to Hoffman Street
• Forrest Street from U.S. 31 to Lindsay Lane
• Fifth Avenue from Market Street to Jefferson Street
• Forrest Street from Clinton Street to U.S. 31 and Clinton Street from Forrest Street to U.S. 72
• Brownsferry Street from U.S. 72 to Houston Street
• Houston Street from Brownsferry Street to U.S. 72
• Hine Street from U.S. 72 to Elm Street
• Nick Davis Road from Lindsay Lane to Mooresville Road
• Upper Fort Hampton Road from Alabama 127 to Sandlin Road