By Lora Scripps
Sizzling fish, chicken and hushpuppies are just a few of the items being offered at the City of Athens Relay for Life team’s second annual Swamp John’s Supper.
The event is 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, March 11, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street.
The caterer will be offer up shrimp, fish, chicken or combo plates, which include sides and sweet tea. Tickets are $10 and help raise money for the American Cancer Society.
Last year’s event drew about 570 people and raised $1,700 for the American Cancer Society and local cancer patients.
According to the American Cancer Society, last year’s fundraising supported local needs in the following ways:
• Provided local patients with eight wigs and 12 other gift items including hats, scarves and turbans;
• Provided resources for three women to attend the Look Good, Feel Better program where women are provided a free makeup kit valued at more than $200. Local volunteer cosmetologists also fit the women with a free wig and provided them with other gift items.
• Provided resources for six men to attend Man to Man, a local support group for prostate cancer survivors and patients;
• Reach to Recovery visited 13 breast cancer patients;
• Local treatment centers were given 273 transportation grants to help patients get to their treatments;
• Assisted 37 patients with 49 nights of lodging during their cancer treatments; and
• Funded and is currently helping to fund 923 American Cancer Society research grants totaling $462 million.
In addition, the American Cancer Society currently funds eight researchers in Alabama to the sum of more than $5.7 million.
“We appreciate the community always supporting our team events for Relay for Life,” City Team Captain Holly Hollman said. “Everyone on our team, and probably everyone in our community, has been impacted in some way by cancer, and this is an avenue for us to give back and fight.”
Tickets to the Swamp John’s Supper are available by calling 256-233-8730 or at the door as long as food is available.