By Jean Cole
If you would like to tour an historic town and eat holiday dinner along the way, make reservations for the annual Holiday Progressive Dinner in Mooresville.
The event will be held between 3 and 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 8.
Each year in December, the 19th century town puts on its holiday finery to celebrate the season. Bright fresh greenery and red bows decorate its street signs. Della Robbia wreaths with colorful fresh fruit and natural materials hang on the doors of historic public buildings. Homes are decorated in the tradition of Christmas past.
Tickets, which are $60 per person, should be reserved early through PayPal on Mooresville’s website at www.mooresvillealabama.com and click on “Christmas.” Or, mail a check with your preferred seating time to P.O. Box 20, Mooresville, AL, 35649.
Proceeds support the preservation of Mooresville's historic public buildings.
Check-in begins at 3 p.m. at the 1820 Stagecoach Tavern, where attendees will receive a map and begin the walk through the town. Tour highlights include:
• Six decorated houses plus 1818 farms will be open from 3 to 7 p.m.;
• Appetizers and salads will be served in homes from 3 to 7 p.m.;
• Entrées will be served at Limestone Bay Trading Co., at three different times — 4:30, 5:45 and 7 p.m.;
• Coffee and dessert will be served in the Peebles’ barn from 5 to 9 p.m.;
• Carolers will sing holiday music throughout the evening at the 1839 Brick Church.
For your Christmas shopping, the following will be open:
• Hen House Art (assorted art);
• Java Mooresville (coffee and art);
• Limestone Bay General Store (canned goods);
• Lyla’s Little House (homemade candy and cheese straws);
• Mooresville Mercantile (traditional gifts and home furnishings);
• 1840 Post Office (holiday stamps).
Last year’s tour date was a blustery one, so prepare to dress warmly and wear comfortable shoes, as walking is required.
The streets of Mooresville will be closed to motorists.
Open buildings are not wheelchair accessible.
For additional information, call 256-355-2683 or 256-350-7049.