— Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson, center, and News Courier contributor Karen Middleton, right, rehearse a scene Sunday for the upcoming “Poke Sallet Follies.” On the ground is Mike Swanner, who plays the perpetrator in the sketch. Ticket sales for the 21st annual show, “Be Our Guest,” continue at the Athens Senior Center at 912 W. Pryor St. in Athens. Tickets are $35 per person, limited to two tables per customer and include a three-course meal. Tickets are sold daily from 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. and must be paid by cash or check only when obtained. The Follies will be held March 7-9 at the Athens Senior Center.
- Top Local News
Tanner's Bill Bridgeforth among two Alabama farmers being honored by White House
Bridgeforth and Lee Haynes of Cullman are among 15 people being recognized as so-called "Champions of Change" in Washington on Tuesday.Continued ...
- State firefighters head west
- Athens council to consider abatement, civil rights recognition, liquor store
- Athens State University to present history of women in Alabama
- Athens-Limestone United Way seeks teacher noms ahead of annual event
- Tanner's Bill Bridgeforth among two Alabama farmers being honored by White House
- Today's Local Feature
- State and Nation
Israeli strikes on Gaza, rocket fire, break lull
The strikes followed an almost 12-hour pause in fighting and came as international efforts intensified to end the three-week war between Israel and Hamas.Continued ...
- After six weeks, finally a deal on VA health care
- Police investigate deaths of family of five
- Police: Alabama woman lit on fire by ex-boyfriend
- Tortoise an accomplice in alligator's zoo escape?
- Israeli strikes on Gaza, rocket fire, break lull
- Local Sports
TRACTOR PULL: A new generation takes over in Tanner
One of the first families of the Tanner pull is the Haneys. Horace Haney, along with brother, Shirley, co-founded the event in 1976 that draws thousands to the county each year. The sons of those pulling pioneers now run the show.Continued ...
- Clay Haney follows in father’s footsteps
- North win streak improves to 12
- Local athletes lead North to soccer sweep
- Davidson helps North tie
- TRACTOR PULL: A new generation takes over in Tanner
Italy's Vincenzo Nibali wins Tour de France
Chants of "Vin-cen-zo!" rang across the famed avenue for the Sicilian, who became the first Italian to win cycling's greatest race since Marco Pantani in 1998.Continued ...
- Rookie QB says 'never fun to get punched' in face
- SEC serves as a launching pad from college to the NFL draft
- Cowboys' Rolando McClain back to football after court date
- Quickest route into NFL draft goes through SEC
- Italy's Vincenzo Nibali wins Tour de France
- Calendar of Events