— Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson, center, and News Courier contributor Karen Middleton, right, rehearse a scene Sunday for the upcoming “Poke Sallet Follies.” On the ground is Mike Swanner, who plays the perpetrator in the sketch. Ticket sales for the 21st annual show, “Be Our Guest,” continue at the Athens Senior Center at 912 W. Pryor St. in Athens. Tickets are $35 per person, limited to two tables per customer and include a three-course meal. Tickets are sold daily from 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. and must be paid by cash or check only when obtained. The Follies will be held March 7-9 at the Athens Senior Center.
- Top Local News
- Today's Local Feature
- State and Nation
Driver stops to help ducklings, gets ticket
A state trooper issued Hallie Bibeau a ticket for stopping in the median. Police say median stops are for emergencies, and they didn't consider this to be one.Continued ...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's victims
- Alabama man charged in brother's slaying
- Tuscaloosa changes ordinance on ticket scalping
- Rev. Al Sharpton to visit Birmingham next week
- Driver stops to help ducklings, gets ticket
- Local Sports
Tedford, Potts take on the South in All-Star hoops game
Stace Tedford has had a busy year at Athens. After leading the basketball team to a school-record 24 consecutive wins and regional finals appearance, he jumped straight into soccer season, where he took the varsity girls soccer team to another 5A state championship game.Continued ...
Wednesday, Tedford will be on the court again, coaching in the North-South All-Star basketball game.
- Strong local presence at state All-Star Week
- Before politics, Seibert played for the Tide
- State softball tournament begins in Athens today
- Run with goats Saturday
- Tedford, Potts take on the South in All-Star hoops game
Survey finds sharp increase in teen use of HGH
In a confidential 2013 survey of 3,705 high school students, 11 percent reported using synthetic HGH at least once — up from about 5 percent in the four preceding annual surveys.Continued ...
- CEO: Clippers coach to quit if Sterling stays
- Tedford, Potts take on the South
- Arkansas State player earns conference honors
- Clippers' future on line as probate trial resumes
- Survey finds sharp increase in teen use of HGH
- Calendar of Events