ATHENS — Thousands of motorcyclists made their way along U.S. 72 in Athens Saturday morning for the 20th annual Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride. Bikers ride from Chattanooga to Oklahoma each year to remember the Native Americans who were forced from their lands in the 1830s and moved to what is now eastern Oklahoma along what became known as the Trail of Tears. Tens of thousands of Native Americans died along the route.
- Top Local News
Northwest Alabama fighting job losses
Friday's announcement that izzy+ would close a furniture plant by summer 2015 and leave 200 workers out of a job was the latest in a barrage of similar bad news.Continued ...
- Sidewalk work underway on Hine Street
- Slots remain for landowner estate planning session in Athens
- Returning Mother Nature’s mess
- Report: Dogs die in early morning house fire in Ardmore
- Northwest Alabama fighting job losses
- Today's Local Feature
Temps take a dip
A hint of fall will remain in the air this week as temperatures and humidity are forecasted to remain about 10 degrees under average, according to meteorologist Tim Troutman at the National Weather Service in Huntsville.Continued ...
- Folk art homestead draws in the curious
- Smithsonian exhibit planners seek local volunteers, money, artifacts
- Temps take a dip
- State and Nation
Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
"Choosing Hope: Moving Forward from Your Life's Darkest Hour" by teacher Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis will be released next spring.Continued ...
- Lawmakers try to seal $225M aid package for Israel
- Alabama teen rescued after falling 50 feet in cave
- Study: 35 percent in U.S. facing debt collectors
- Despite good news, entitlement programs face problems
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Local Sports
TRACTOR PULL: A new generation takes over in Tanner
One of the first families of the Tanner pull is the Haneys. Horace Haney, along with brother, Shirley, co-founded the event in 1976 that draws thousands to the county each year. The sons of those pulling pioneers now run the show.Continued ...
- Clay Haney follows in father’s footsteps
- North win streak improves to 12
- Local athletes lead North to soccer sweep
- Davidson helps North tie
- TRACTOR PULL: A new generation takes over in Tanner
NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules
Unlike a proposed settlement in a similar lawsuit against the NFL, this deal stops short of setting aside money to pay players who suffered brain trauma.Continued ...
- NBA, Clippers eager for Sterling out, Ballmer in
- Italy's Vincenzo Nibali wins Tour de France
- Rookie QB says 'never fun to get punched' in face
- SEC serves as a launching pad from college to the NFL draft
- NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules
- Calendar of Events