— World War II veteran Dempsey McLemore, grand marshal of the annual Veterans Day Parade, rides in an Army jeep and waves to onlookers as the procession passes through downtown Athens. McLemore was part of the 82nd Airborne and jumped in behind enemy lines in Normandy, France. He was captured and taken as a POW and later liberated by the Russians. McLemore’s son, Pastor Dusty McLemore, sits behind his father. Driving the jeep was Zack Magnusson of Ardmore.
- Top Local News
City Council approves Remington incentives; one citizen against
Under the agreement, Athens will pay $250,000 to Remington during a three-year period if the company meets hiring goals.Continued ...
- Police Department site of March 18 voter registration event
- Alabama offering free photo IDs to vote
- Athens man accused of selling crack cocaine
- Carly's Law to be considered today by state Senate
- City Council approves Remington incentives; one citizen against
- Today's Local Feature
- State and Nation
Bill for marijuana derivative expands into study
A bill to allow the treatment of epileptic seizures with a marijuana derivative has turned into a $1 million medical study that will supply the product to Alabama families.Continued ...
- Ala woman exploring with Google Glass device
- Elderly Decatur woman found living with dead spouse
- House budget seeks to do away with teacher bonus
- State Senate committee OKs loaded pistols in vehicles
- Bill for marijuana derivative expands into study
- Local Sports
5 Limestone student-athletes selected as Bryant-Jordan winners
Limestone County students are well represented among the list of Bryant-Jordan student-athlete winners, announced by the AHSAA this week.Continued ...
- Potts picks MTSU
- Athens soccer team finishes 2nd at Florence tournament
- COLUMN: Banner year for Limestone basketball
- Lauderdale County wins 3rd straight girls title
- 5 Limestone student-athletes selected as Bryant-Jordan winners
Florida, Wichita State stay 1-2 in AP poll
Florida, which finished an unbeaten season in the Southeastern Conference, and Wichita State, which completed an undefeated regular season, are the top two teams in the AP college basketball poll for the third straight week.Continued ...
- Bill could give home-schooled kids sports options
- No. 25 Kentucky survives Alabama 55-48
- Bucks sign former Tide player Tony Mitchell to 10-day contract
- James scores 61, setting career-high and Heat-best
- Florida, Wichita State stay 1-2 in AP poll
- Calhoun bringing ‘Hamlet’ to Black Box Theatre
- Athens student serving as FCCLA state officer
- Behaviorists: Dogs feel no shame despite the look
- 'Which (blank) are you?' Online quizzes go viral
- Cream of the crop: Two Limestone County 4-H students to attend national conference
- Calendar of Events