Quotes that are worth a second thought
When we take the time to stop, look and listen, it is amazing how much we can learn about living from the reflective thoughts of others. Life-changing quotations come from so many sources, both formally and informally. Through reading and observation we can be inspired and challenged. Let me share some of these quotes, some of which are anonymous, that may need a second thought from us.
1. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
2. To react is natural when we are wrong. Not to react is supernatural.
3. Blessings have a way of multiplying as you count them.
4. Start a chain of kindness: Smile!
5. Tell stress you won't be home today.
6. Choose to have a great day!
7. Don't underestimate the power of believing in yourself.
8. When you become detached mentally from yourself and concentrate on helping people with their difficulties, you will be able to cope with your own more effectively.
-- Norman Vincent Peale
9. To be successful is to be helpful, caring, and constructive —- to make everything and everyone you touch a little better. The best thing you have to give is yourself.
—Norman Vincent Peale
10.1 know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.
— Mother Teresa
Think about the qualities of character these sayings highlight: self-worth, self-control, gratitude, kindness, coping skills, positive attitude, self-confidence, unselfishness, loving others as you love yourself, and the confidence that God is with each of us. To live life with meaning and purpose we all need a second helping of these spiritual qualities.
Dr. Curtis Coleman is emeritus dean and professor of religion and philosophy at Athens State University.
This Week's Circulars
Pelham Curtis Brewer, 81, of Athens, Alabama, died Wednesday, September 16, 2020. Service is 2 p.m. Saturday at Spry Funeral Home Chapel in Athens. Burial in Nebo Cemetery. Visitation noon until service Saturday at Spry Funeral Home.
Wallace Glen Clark, 68, of Athens, passed away Tuesday August 11. Visitation will be 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday, August 24, at McConnell Funeral Home. Funeral service will be 1 p.m. Burial will be at Limestone Memorial Gardens.
Graveside service for Ethel Lee Hubbard, 95, of Athens, is 1 p.m. Saturday, September 19, 2020, at Eastwood Memorial Gardens, Montgomery, Alabama.
Larry "Lee" Burch Jr., of Lakeland, Florida, passed away Thursday, August 27, 2020. He was born September 29, 1968. Graveside services will be 2 p.m. Sunday at Athens City Cemetery with Mike Davis officiating.
- BREAKING: Victim ID'd in Clinton Street investigation
- UPDATE: Victim ID'd in I-65 wreck
- THANK A FARMER: Curtis Farms going strong after 35 years
- Arrest reports for 9/16/20
- Arrest reports for 9/15/20
- Athens Police investigating Friday night shooting
- Arrest reports for 9/17/20
- Neighborhood Bridges Program to benefit Ardmore community
- ‘Haunt Walks’ tours step back into Athens’ haunted history
- BUILDING UP: Elkmont Elementary at top of project list for LCS