Jefferson Davis speaker
Author Walter Donald Kennedy will speak about Jefferson Davis at 7 p.m. Friday in McCandless Hall at Athens State University. Historian Chris Paysinger will talk about the 1860 election and its impact on the Athens community. Tickets are $5 at the door or purchased in advance at Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives, Athens Visitors Center, Limestone County Archives, the Hobbs’ Camp Sons of Confederate Veterans or with credit card through 256-232-5411.
Clements Fire Department will have a crawfish boil and chicken and sausage gumbo starting at 11 a.m. Saturday at the fire department. Dine in or carry out. Contact 256-729-6057.
VFW Post 4765 will hold a dedication for their pavilion from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. Grilled hamburgers and hot dogs will be served to the public. Call 256-233-1067 after 2pm.
Memorial Day ceremony
American Legion Post 49 in Athens will host its annual Memorial Day ceremony at 10 a.m. Monday at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives on Pryor Street. Guest speaker is retired Col. John Reitzell. Drinks and finger foods served. Public invited. Contact Joe at 256-431-5922.
Art On The Square
Email email@example.com or call 256-444-8156 for registration information for Art On The Square, the annual art camp for children in grades 1-6. It will be held from 9 a.m.-noon on Tuesday, June 7. The class is $25 per child and $20 for each additional sibling.
Music and dance
Barnett Band & Co. will perform from 7-10 p.m. Saturday at West Side Village Community Center on Alabama 99 in the Owens Community. Admission is $4. All ages welcome. No alcohol or smoking permitted. Call 256-771-0586.
Scouts conduct spare-change drive
Athens Boy Scout Troop 240 is conducting a spare change drive to support their July 2011 trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Drop-off locations are the First United Methodist Church, 208 E. Hobbs St., and the Beasley Center at the corner of Bryan and North Marion streets.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will hold a special meeting at the Washington Street Annex at 10 a.m. today, May 25 to discuss debris removal.
• VFW. VFW Post 4765 will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. today, May 25.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp No. 768 will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 26 at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. The speaker is author Walter Donald “Donny” Kennedy.
• Blacksmiths Forge. Athens Blacksmiths Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 28 at Travis Fleming's Artistic Iron Forge, 208 Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Contact is John Guenther at 256-230-2900.
• Class of ’56. The Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 1 for a Dutch treat lunch at Logan’s Roadhouse Restaurant on U.S. 72 East near the Interstate 65 exit. Contact Betty at 256-777-0516.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by non-profit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL, 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.