The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from noon until 6 p.m. Wednesday at Julian Newman Elementary School in the new gymnasium, 517 Julian Newman Drive in Athens. The Newmanators Science Club is sponsoring the drive.
Financial Peace University
Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University begins at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Center for Lifelong Learning, 121 S. Marion St. on the courthouse Square in Athens. Preregister and get more information at 256-233-6135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will hear speaker Caitlin Simpson, an orientation and mobility specialist from 10 a.m. until noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Members are asked to bring refreshments to share. Contact: Richard Moroney 800-671-6840.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Sept. 20, at 256-232-7207.
Limestone County Poker Run to benefit the elderly will be held Saturday with registration from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Country Club. Entry fees are $15 per person or $20 for two riders per bike. More information is available by calling Mike Pylant at 256-278-6151.
Ride to Read Trail Ride
The Ride to Read Trail Ride, sponsored by the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, will be held Sunday, Oct. 7, at Neal Johnston Farm in Minor Hill, Tenn. Gate opens at 11 a.m. Ride starts at 2 p.m. Adults, $15; non-riders, $7; children under age 12, $7. Ride benefits the Athens-Limestone Public Library Foundation. Contact: 256-232-0111 or www.limestonesheriff.com.
Domestic violence meetings
Meetings will be held at 6 p.m. on Sept. 17 and 24 and Oct. 1 and 8 in advance of an Oct. 10 Crisis Services of North Alabama candlelight vigil on the courthouse Square for domestic violence victims. Volunteers can call Christa Crabtree at 256-232-0280 for more information and the meeting location.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 17, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Seniors. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet for Dutch lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Member Helen Kerry will speak.
• Republican Women. The Limestone County Republican Women will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street in Athens. Social begins at 6; meeting begins at 6:30.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be Alisha Teeples with Limestone Health Facility, which will also provide breakfast. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Members are asked to bring something for Iron in the Hat.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.