The Limestone County basketball community got a scare Tuesday night when Elkmont High School star point-guard David Solomon suffered a serious head injury during the first quarter of his game at West Limestone High School.

With the score 8-7 in the Red Devils’ favor, Solomon stole the ball and had a fast-break opportunity. While attempting to convert his lay-up, Solomon was fouled and his body soared parallel with the gymnasium floor.

Solomon’s shoulders hit the court first, thrusting his head into a whiplash motion and a violent collision with the floor. The game was stopped at that point and the West Limestone gym sounded more like a library than an arena of competition. Solomon was unconscious for the next three minutes. He also experienced a mild seizure.

No immediate emergency help was on the premises and fans and officials of both Elkmont and West Limestone began frantically searching the bleachers for someone with emergency training. After what seemed like an eternity (but was probably less than 10 minutes), paramedics arrived and began assessing Solomon’s injuries.

Coach Stace Tedford said the initial diagnosis was that Solomon had experienced a second-degree concussion. Solomon had feeling in all extremities and moved them as well. He was loaded onto a stretcher and taken via ambulance to Athens-Limestone Hospital for precautionary reasons.

The silence in the West Limestone gym finally broke when the game resumed after a 40-minute delay.

Connie Solomon, David’s mother, said Wednesday morning that her son was alert and conscious.

“They said he has a bruise on his brain,” she said. “It’s not that big; about the size of an eraser.”

David was initially taken to Athens-Limestone Hospital but has since been moved to Huntsville Hospital.

“They did a CT scan and sent it to Huntsville and decided to move him there,” Connie Solomon said. “He ate a little bit this morning and stood up and tried to walk around a little. He got kind of sick, though, so he had to lay back down. But if all goes well, they may let him come home later today.”

While Connie is relieved that her son’s injuries are not as bad as they could have been, she is not looking forward to trying to keep David from rejoining his teammates. “They (the doctors) said no sports for two weeks,” she said. “I don’t know how I’m going to keep him down. But he felt sick when he tried to walk earlier so maybe he’ll understand.”

Trending Video

Recommended for you