SALEM – After not being able to get the ball in the endzone all night, Ardmore running back Derrick Green exploded for 101 yards as the Tigers scored 19 fourth quarter points to beat West Limestone 32-6 Friday night.

Green had 213-yards rushing and 268 all-purpose yards with three touchdowns.

“Our line started blocking good in the fourth quarter and I was able to break a couple of big plays,” Green said. “We shifted the momentum our way in the fourth quarter.”

Ardmore got on the board early when quarterback Elijah Barnes capped off the opening drive by hitting Will Lewis on 12-yard touchdown pass. Landon Curtis’ extra point attempt was good.

On the ensuing series, West Limestone drove the football to the Ardmore 21-yard line, but the Wildcats lost their offensive momentum and turned ball over on downs.

“We had several opportunities to score early in the game,” West Limestone coach Jeff Prince said. “We just couldn’t get the ball in the endzone.”

With Ardmore driving the football early in the second quarter, Jay Davis intercepted Barnes on the 50-yard line.

The Wildcats drove to the Ardmore 6-yard line but failed to get the ball in the endzone.

“We moved the football with some success early, but just couldn’t finish it off,” Prince said. “We just didn’t have a whole lot go right.”

Ardmore struck again late in the second quarter when Green scored on a 9-yard run. Curtis missed the extra point.

“We came out and underestimated them early,” Curtis said. “That’s on us, but we reacted and were able to bounce back.”

After Ardmore got a bad snap on a punt, West Limestone got the ball on the 50-yard line early in the fourth quarter. The Wildcats took advantage of the break when quarterback Wesley Hughes hit Jeremy White on an 8-yard touchdown pass. West Limestone couldn’t convert the two-point conversion.

Ardmore regained the momentum when Green returned the ensuing kickoff 68-yards to the West Limestone 25-yard line. Curtis punched the ball in the endzone from the 1-yard line to extend the Tigers lead to 19-6.

On the ensuing series Duron Robison intercepted Hughes on the 50-yard line. The Tigers’ secondary had two interceptions in the game.

“We played well at times in the secondary, but still made a few mistakes,” Malone said. “Our safetys played well all night.”

Recommended for you