By Justin Graves
Ex-Tanner linebacker Ryan Powers played a more important role than he expected in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic Saturday night.
Powers recorded eight tackles with five unassisted in Alabama’s 24-3 win over Mississippi.
“The whole experience was a blast,” Powers said. “Being on the field with so many good athletes will get your adrenaline pumping. I was real excited and got more excited as the game went on.”
In a game that was supposed to feature two hyped up offenses, it was the defenses that rose to the occasion. Alabama scored the majority of its points off Mississippi turnovers.
“It felt good to be a part of defense that was that strong,” Powers said. “They got inside the twenty a couple of times, but we tightened up and caused some turnovers.”
Tanner football coach LaRon White was impressed with the way his former star linebacker handled himself in the game.
“Ryan made several plays,” White said. “He did a great job.”
Powers said the big difference was the speed of the game, but said that is how it is going to be when he arrives at Arkansas in the fall. He said he is going to use this experience as a good stepping stone for his college football career.
By Justin Graves
This Week's Circulars
David Eugene Abernathy, 58, of Athens, Alabama, died Saturday. Graveside services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday at Gatlin Cemetery. No visitation is planned.
Mary Benita Moss Ulrich, 88, went to be with her heavenly father Friday, January 15, 2021. There will be a 2 p.m. graveside service Wednesday at Roselawn Cemetery with Chris Preston officiating. Spry Funeral Home is directing. She was preceded in death by the love of her life, Homer Ulrich; …
- Arrest reports for 1/16/21
- Attempted murder, rape among grand jury indictments
- Weekend wreck damages planter at Athens Post Office
- COVID-19 vaccine clinics open Monday
- Tanner woman arrested for illegal gambling operation
- Arrest reports for 1/13/21
- Welcome home, Case: Deputy's 7-month-old home after Vanderbilt stay
- Athens hires new city planner
- COMMUNITY EFFORT: Vaccine clinics open in Limestone County
- CHOCOLATE WALK: Ticket sales start Monday for annual event